Everyone grieves differently. We all go through the various stages of grief, but not necessarily in the same order, manner, or length of time as our family and friends. So when a pet dies our grief can be not only overwhelming, it can also leave us feeling alone and isolated. We hope that one of the resources listed here will be helpful to you.
- The Association for Pet Loss and Bereavement offers a wide variety of assistance to grieving pet parents: http://www.aplb.org/
Pet Loss Support Groups
- The Whatcom Humane Society sponsors a monthly pet loss support group. Check the WHS Pet Loss Support webpage for more information.
- If you live outside of Bellingham, please refer to http://www.pet-loss.net/resources/WA.shtml to see if there is a group that meets in your area.
- Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine – Pet Loss Hotline: 866-266-8635
- Volunteers of American/Western Washington – 24 Hour Crisis Line: 1-800-584-3578
Whatcom County Grief Counselors
- Check your health insurance provider listing, or a reputable listing agent like http://therapists.psychologytoday.com. (Grief counselors in Whatcom County as of 1/31/2015).
- Bobbie Ruth Langley of Radiant Heart After-Care for Pets is a Certified Pet Bereavement Specialist (certified by the IAOPCC) and she would be happy to talk with you in person or over the phone.
- Virginia Malmquist, M.Ed. specializes in helping folks through depression and the loss of a loved one. Heron Reach Counseling. 360-319-4266.
- Marie T. Matteson, MS LMP RC is a gifted medical intuitive who also helps pet parents understand, and communicate with, their pets. http://www.MattesonCommunications.com. 360.714.8888.
- Joanna Schmidt offers support through her animal communication practice located in Bellingham, WA. Joanna supports people and their animals through the decision process of knowing ‘when it is time.’ She also provides help to grieving pet parents once their beloved pet has passed. You can read about her animal communication work here: http://www.heartfeltpet.com.